Tuesday, July 17, 2007

kitchen experimenting

My empty wallet (caused by unemployment) and full fridge (caused by my love for grocery shopping) have been resulting lately in some experimentation with kitchen basics, and I thought I'd share the fruits of my labor.

Side note: I hate pasta salad with a passion. This was meant to be served hot. Turns out, though, as I discovered when Harry came home for dinner an hour and a half late, this is excellent cold.

carrots
courgettes
pesto (NOT HOMEMADE, duh)
fusilli pasta
fresh mozzarella

make the pasta. don't add too much salt to the water and don't butter the pasta, just add pesto when it's done. while the water is boiling, slice the carrots and courgettes into very, very thin rounds. here's the genius bit: sauté them in the oil from the pesto jar. don't add any other seasoning or oils, just use that. it's amazingggg. sauté until a little squishy and a little charred. mix with the pesto pasta, let cool in the fridge for an hour and a half (or however long it takes your delinquent
boyfriend to come home). just before serving, top with little pieces of fresh mozz. serve with a crisp white wine, a green salad with balsamic, and a baguette.

Yum, if I do say so myself.

No comments: