Thursday, June 14, 2007

je t'aime

It's kind of incredible that I live in this city that so many dream/write/sing/[insert action verb here] about. When I leave my new babysitting job (expect a long post about that soon) and walk down the street to the métro, the first thing I see is Trocadero and, below it, the Eiffel Tower. It's unbelievable.

Will be seeing "Paris, je t'aime" tonight. Expect also a review.

The only slightly jarring thing about Paris is that it's not an independent city in my mind. I mean, I don't think I'll ever be able to think about Paris without thinking about Harry. Okay, maybe when I'm a happily-married soccer mom with 2 kids, a lab, and a Volvo - never a minivan! - somewhere in the Washington suburbs, I'll think of Paris just as a place where I spent a perspective-changing six months when I was twenty, but for now, Harry is my Paris experience. I bring this up not because I like to talk about Harry (although I do) or because I want you all to know I've got the sweetest guy (which I do), but because with the advent of summer has come the inevitable question, from every Jean and Marie we meet as well as from a lot of you: What happens when I leave Paris at the end of July?

We'll be breaking up. It's a bummer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

explain this, please (in private e-mail. Betsy, I have erased most of my contacts: an accident i assure you! so send me an e-mail so I can have your address again.)

also: is this address listed in contact where I can send the ACTUAL letter I have written on the BEAUTIFUL stationery (thank you!) from Venice (that your mom JUST got to me last weekend..better late then never Naomi!!)