Tuesday, January 30, 2007

tutoring

I gave my first real tutoring session last night. It was way harder than I expected it to be. The girl is sweet; she's 7 years old and is taking English at school, so she knows some basic words and phrases as well as the alphabet. The difficulty, however, lies in the fact that a) as a first grader she's learning her own language alongside English, and b) when I see her, she's already spent 8 hours at school and is zonked. Anyway, we identified objects in her room - bed, desk, chair, etc. - and taped namecards onto them so she'll remember, went over the English pronunciation of the alphabet, and learned the personal pronouns. She lasted 45 minutes, which is respectable; I just hope she retains some of the stuff for next week!

After that, 11 Victor Cousin had a Grey's dinner party. Jed came over, I made a feuilletée with spinach, mushrooms, and goat cheese, and Alyssa and I got creative with an apple crumble. I got the recipe for the feuilletée from the cooking class I took last week; I was scared to try to make it on my own, but it actually came out really well. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. (The Grey's, obviously, was amazing.)

Tonight I'll be babysitting for the Masons for the first time... wish me luck!

No comments: